Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Captain's Blog: Day One

This is funny, because for the past several days, my brain has been in non-stop blogging mode, yet I find myself staring at this blank screen and my thoughts escape me. Where to begin? Well, perhaps I should explain why I've now thrown my hat into the blogging ring... There are a plethora of reasons, but the most prevalent is that I have tons of thoughts--silly and profound--that roll around my head CONSTANTLY and this forum would help me exorcise those and spare family and friends the arduous task of hearing those thoughts. Seriously, I appreciate those people who stick with me during a conversation because, quite frankly, you must have mental gymnastics to often keep up.

I like to think this is due to brilliance!

Secondly, although I was never one to have a diary, I think this format is a great legacy for my grandkids and great-grandkids (side note: WHY does "grandkids" come up as misspelled??? It's a perfectly good word...), mostly to help them understand why Grandma (or Gangy) is so... odd... This may also help those who know me understand me a bit better... or not.

Thirdly, (which really should have a red squiggly line under it because that really shouldn't be a word...) if I can exorcise these random thoughts, I just may be able to finally complete a novel that's been, oh, eight-ish years in the making! I have about 5 chapters written, but haven't revisited in nearly 3 years. Why, you ask? The reasonable response is because of school and work and living arrangements, but the truth is that I'm somewhat (OKAY - RATHER) lazy!! I'm also reluctant to put myself out there in that forum because, quite frankly, negative comments hurt my feelings. Yes, I am rather resilient and thick skinned in many areas, but when you write something for public approval, it's sometimes a little difficult to accept the criticisms.

So why a blog? Well, this is an electronic diary of sorts and in this forum I really don't care if someone is irritated or hates what I write because these are MY THOUGHTS and they exist whether anyone approves of them or not.

Lastly (because I refuse to write fourthly, fifthly, or beyond) I have been in the throes of academic writing for SO long that I want to express myself freely without grammar check, split infinitive police, or writing our numbers below 10!! Seriously! You have NO IDEA how difficult this final class was to get through. My. brain. just. wouldn't. write. in. academia... No matter how hard I tried, my brain folded it's arms and shook its head and resoundingly said "Nope!! Aint' gonna do it and you ain't gonna make me!!" (SEE!! I used ain't TWICE and it felt so... so... GRATIFYING!!)

I intend to write every day--some days readers will scratch their heads and feel sorry for my family, some days some readers will undoubtedly leave remarks of irritation or anger, and other days I hope that with my ramblings, I've made someone smile or laugh... nay, LOL!! In any event, this blog, named so appropriately, is what it is and I hope you enjoy it--even if it sometimes pisses you off!

Welcome to thoughts, stay for the pie, and don't forget to tip your wait staff!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Note to self: edit better before hitting "Publish"... *sigh*

      Delete
  2. Awesome blog!! It is entertaining (you make me laugh) and interesting. I will look forward to "following" you if that's okay.
    Charisse :)

    ReplyDelete